raising the roof
Put a CAP on Youth Homelessness
For several years, Homeward Trust has partnered with Raising the Roof to organize a local campaign to sell toques throughout our community. Raising the Roof is a registered, national charity dedicated to finding long-term solutions to the growing problem of homelessness in Canada.
The annual campaign runs from November until the end of February, with a special emphasis on the downtown core on Toque Tuesday, the first Tuesday of February.
Regular toques and socks are sold for $10.00, while the new pom-pom toques and mittens are sold for $20.00. Cash donations are also accepted.
50% of the sales proceeds support local youth initiatives, and 100% of all donations stay in our community.
The beneficiary for the 2015/2016 Raising the Roof campaign is SAFQEY - an Edmonton grassroots group working to raise awareness about the growing issue of LGBTQ youth homelessness.
Toque Tuesday 2016
On February 2, 2016, Toque Tuesday, wear your toque in support of youth homelessness. Homeward Trust staff, volunteers, and community partners will take to the streets to sell toques in local LRT stations and City Hall.
How YOU can get involved
1. Buy a toque. Toques will be for purchase through our office or online beginning in November 2015.
2. Help us sell toques. We will provide you with posters, tent cards, flyers and the toques, mittens, and socks.
3. You can sell toques:
- In the workplace—in your common area or kitchen—advertise a time and date when you will sell the toques. On that day set up a table with the toques on display and provide information on the campaign. Encourage your colleagues to purchase a toque or two!
- In your community—invite your neighbours and friends to purchase a toque; encourage them to sell toques to their friends and neighbours!
- On Toque Tuesday: volunteers will help us sell toques to community members; it’s a great way to meet people and make them aware of homelessness issues. You can either purchase toques from us or you can sell them on our behalf—whichever works for you!
If you have any questions regarding Raising the Roof or Toque Tuesday contact:email@example.com.
To learn more about the national campaign: www.raisingtheroof.org